What is descaling?
All coffee machines, including Nespresso machines, build up deposits of calcium and lime from water. Descaling your machine will remove these deposits, improving the taste of your coffee and keeping your machine in great shape.
How often does it need to be done?
We recommend descaling your Nespresso machine twice a year, or after about 300 uses.
How do I descale my Nespresso machine?
Descaling your Nespresso machine is a simple process that can be done in four easy steps. Essentially, it involves adding a descaling solution to the water reservoir and flushing the solution through the machine. Here’s a how-to guide:
Prepare your machine
- Remove capsules and capsule container.
- Put in 1 liter of warm fresh water (4 cups) in the water container.
- Mix in a sachet of descaling solution.
- Turn the machine on.
- Put a container than can hold up to a liter of water under the coffee outlet.
Descale your machine
- Pixie, Essenza and Citiz – simultaneously press on two buttons for three seconds.
- U – simultaneously press all three buttons for three seconds.
- Lattisima – put in the descaling nozzle, press the cappuccino button.
- Rinse the water container.
- Pour in fresh water in the water container.
- Run the cycle again without the descaling solution in the water.
- Empty and rinse the drip tray.
Exit the Descaling Mode
- Pixie, Essenza and Citiz – press the two buttons simultaneously for three seconds.
- U – press and hold three buttons simultaneously for three seconds.
- Latissima – take out the descaling nozzle.
Still have questions? Visit Nespresso’s YouTube page for videos on descaling your machine.
Order HiLine Coffee’s descaling solution for $4.99 and start your year with a clean machine!