HiLine Coffee has put together a guide of the perfect gifts for that coffee-lover on your list. The best part? All items can be ordered online without having to brave the malls, stores and crowds!
At HiLine Coffee, you might have figured out that we really love coffee. We also love New York City and the energy it gives us (along with our espresso!) each and every day.
That’s why we’re so thrilled to share with you our new line up of HiLine Coffee blends. Each of the seven blends gives you a taste of a neighborhood or special spot in New York City, and all come in our Nespresso compatible capsules. Our new boxes – which easily slide open – also pay tribute to New York City.
Whether you’re looking for a dark roast to fuel your morning or a decaf for the evening, there’s something for you in our new lineup. Go ahead — find your favorite!
Brooklyn Medium Brown Roast - Exquisite, subtle taste. For the lover of the authentic.
Times Square Dark Roast - A New York roast as lively as the city that never sleeps. For the one who never tires.
Liberty Dark Roast – A strong bold roast with a lot of kick. For the independent spirit.
United Nations Decaf - Diverse flavor without caffeine power. For the inner peace seeker.
Chelsea Light Brown Roast – Proud, playful and smooth. Our signature roast for the romantic in all of us.
Wall Street Dark Roast – An intense powerful dark roast. For movers, shakers and troublemakers.
Central Park Dark Roast Decaf – Rich flavor without caffeine. For a relaxing day in the park.
Last week, a city in Colombia set a world record after 13,800 people gathered in a town square for a cup of coffee. Yes, you read that right – not 13, not 1380, but 13,800! After learning of this coffee-loving accomplishment, I began to wonder what other records have been inspired by my favorite morning ritual.
Here are a few feats, according to the Guinness World Records:
- The largest cup of coffee was created in London in November 2012. It contained 3,487.1 gallons of black coffee (that’s 13,200 litres for our European friends)! In a similar vein, the largest iced coffee, poured in Las Vegas, was 1,500 gallons (5,678.12 litres) and used 3,000 pounds of ice!
- The largest espresso machine in the world was unveiled in Los Angeles in September 2004. It held 130 gallons (492 litres) of water and could filter 72 pounds of coffee in one go. The mammoth machine can serve 3,820 shots of double espresso.
- March 2010 marked the longest journey by a coffee-powered car (do you think the car behind it could enjoy the smell of fresh-brewed coffee?) when a 1988 Volkswagon Scirocco was driven 337 km from London to Manchester. The modified car works by heating the coffee granules in a charcoal fire, which then break down into carbon monoxide and hydrogen. The gas is cooled and filtered before the hydrogen is combusted to drive the engine. ‘Car-puccino’ can reportedly reach 60 miles per hour, or in coffee terms, achieves one mile per 56 espressos.
Autumn is underway, bringing football season, falling leaves and pumpkin-spiced everything. Now, you can treat yourself to a pumpkin latte without even leaving your home.
Homemade HiLine Pumpkin Latte
Makes 1-2 servings
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 tbsp of canned pumpkin puree
- 1-2 tbsp of sugar or sweetener (to taste)
- 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
- a dash of cinnamon
- a dash of nutmeg
- 2 shots of the HiLine espresso blend of your choice
- whipped cream (optional)
In a saucepan, whisk together milk, pumpkin puree, and sugar. Cook on medium heat and stir until the mix begins to steam. Once it steams, remove from heat and add in the vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Whisk well. (For a smoother texture, transfer to a blender to continue mixing.)
Pour mixture into your favorite fall mug with two shots of fresh-brewed HiLine Coffee. Top with whipped cream, additional cinnamon, and nutmeg if you choose. Enjoy!
Coffee, or caffè, plays a major role in Italian culture. Italians love their caffè, and visitors to the beautiful country quickly learn to do the same.
- The most popular drink to order is a caffè, or single shot of espresso. Depending on where you order it, it’s possible you’ll be drinking this standing up, especially at a bar (Italy’s version of a coffee shop).
- If you want what Americans know as a latte, when in Italy, order a caffè latte. If you order a latte in Italy, you’ll be served a cup of milk.
- Most Italians only drink cappuccino or other milk-heavy coffee drinks in the morning. It’s their version of breakfast, and is seen to be too filling for later in the day.
Since HiLine Coffee’s launch in early July, we’ve had a great couple months bringing premium Nespresso compatible capsules to our customers. Thanks to those who were looking for alternatives for their Nespresso machines and gave our coffee a try. We hope you’ll continue enjoying HiLine’s coffee (and saving money while you’re at it!)
In the next couple months, we have some exciting things planned. To expand upon our available blends, we will be introducing a new dark roast and a new decaf. We will also unveil some fun New York City-themed packaging for our coffee, an homage to the exciting city we call home. Stay tuned!
Hologramer, an Australian design company, has taken espresso capsule storage capsule to a new level. No longer do your capsules need to sit in a drawer in their sleeves; they can now have a home on your wall or countertop in one of Hologramer’s sleek containers.
Our favorites are the CapsuleKong, a tribute to Nintendo’s Donkey Kong and a sure hit among video game fans, and the CapsuleVase, which doubles as a capsule holder and small flower vase. Wouldn’t the CapsuleVase look great with our vibrant green Lungo Dark capsules?
If you’re shopping for a single-serve coffee or espresso machine, take a look at Seattle Coffee Gear‘s video comparing some of the available Nespresso machines: Pixie, Citiz, Maestria, Gran Maestria and DeLonghi Lattissima.
Just remember — you can swap out Nespresso capsules for our HiLine Coffee capsules, which are 100% compatible with the following Nespresso models: Citiz, Essenza, Maestria, U, Le Cube and Pixie. HiLine Coffee capsules come to you at a lower cost, and offer delicious, great-tasting coffee!
- Coffee may protect you from developing certain cancers. Researchers at UCLA reviewed hundreds of studies looking at coffee and cancer risk, and determined that coffee very likely protects people from liver and endometrial cancers.
- A new study this month from Duke University School of Medicine and Duke-NUS found that increased caffeine intake may improve liver health by reduce fatty liver in those with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. It is estimated that 30 percent of adults in the United States have this condition, which is often found in those with diabetes or adults who are obese.
- A series of studies have shown that habitual coffee consumption is linked to a lower risk of type 2 diabetes. (However, too much caffeine can make it hard for those with diabetes to control their blood sugar, so it may be best to sip in moderation or switch to decaf.)
- New research from the Harvard School of Public Health found a connection between drinking caffeinated coffee and a lower risk of committing suicide. The study linked drinking two to three cups of coffee per day with a 45 percent lower suicide risk, and those who drank four of more cups had a 53 percent lower risk.
- You might be able to reduce your risk of suffering a stroke. A study conducted by Japan’s National Cerebral and Cardiovascular Center found that people who drink coffee and green tea have a lower risk of stroke than people who rarely consume these beverages.
Do you feel like you just can’t get enough information about coffee? Look no further than author and coffee enthusiast Mark Pendergrast. His book, Uncommon Grounds: The History Of Coffee And How It Transformed Our World, offers an in depth look at the origins and growth of the coffee industry and how it has shaped our society. Published in 1999, an updated version of the book was recently released.